Thursday 10 May 2012

Cafe de Paris London posted review

Now for something a little different. I recently had a very uninspiring experience with one of London's clubs Cafe de Paris. I would love to believe that we as a society has made a lot of progress when it comes to race relations, yet it is abundantly clear we still have a way to go when establishments such as Cafe de Paris feel they can behave in a blatantly discriminatory manner. Please find a review I've posted on a few sights with regards to this situation below.


The club itself is nice, i'd been a few times previously and so decided to go for my birthday and book a table, now there was a little something that bothered me, some of the staff were rude but that can somewhat be ignored. However that wasn't my main issue so I wrote to the Manager Ellis for an explanation...till this day I've had none so I thought I'd share my experience with others.

I sent Ellis the following email: 

Dear Ellis 

I had booked one of the tables on the mezzanine this past Saturday 21/04/12 and had paying guests come to the club. Looking on the website I couldn't help but notice the pictures of the predominantly white crowd in the gallery and nothing else. 
My table was quite literally next to the host from The only way is Essex as well as another table of white customer who might I add also get well represented. 
Firstly I was wondering why so very few pictures were taken of my table in comparison to the surrounding crowd? With that said as there were very few pictures taken of my table I would like to know where they are since the young lady who took the pictures stated they would appear on the website? As not a single one appears on the website. Even on the dance floor you show no diversity, even though I witnessed plenty. I can't help but wonder why that was? As its not an accurate representation of your clientele. 

I would really appreciate a response within the next two weeks. 

Regards 

Rochelle 

Now please understand whilst they had a guest host I'd expect her pictures to be everywhere, but it did concern me however that, they purposefully seem to be hiding the full essence of the crowds the club attracts which is disappointing and in my opinion and doesn't show the club or management in a savoury light. The tables on the mezzanine are not cheap either so I found it quite distasteful that the club was happy enough to take my money but not represent people that look like myself or otherwise (as my group was mixed) in the gallery on the site. Perhaps this is just something to consider when looking for a club to attend.

What is also apparent is that the disregards by the clubs manager regarding the matter, clearly he believes that his clubs undercover racism being brought to his attention is nothing to take notice of as he ignored the email, he also ignored the reminder sent a week after. When will this type of behaviour change? When it's confronted? When it's exposed? Never? As the club is prone to having celebrity guests  I had to wonder had I my group not of been regular citizens would the view on presenting us as clientele be different? Celebrities draw attention after all right? Is it then that maybe my group and other groups not represented in the gallery may shock horror encourage in the clubs view a larger assortment to the establishment? Note the crowd generally has, whenever I've been, been an array of beautiful people and races enjoying themselves together. So is by the gallery only showcasing a certain group trying to discourage other groups from attending in an attempt to adhere to their marginalised idea of being elite? 

I really don't know, but whatever the excuse, it isn't on.

10/05/12


3 comments:

  1. A brilliant response from Cognizant (BSc. Hons, MSc., Doctoral Candidate) to a wannabe smartypants commenting on one of the shorter version of the above review.

    Unfortunately, the site administrators have seen fit to deny the posting of the full review. Incredible and yet not shocking.

    Please find the full response and the link below to a one rioruss poo-pooing the real situation addressed in the above review.


    http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/clubs/cafe-de-paris-userreview-9340.html

    'Reviewer rioruss
    20/05/2012
    Jeez, If you want your picture taken try going to Boots the chemist, They have a booth

    Responses such as these are just as bad as the racist and discriminatory practice of purposefully ignoring a demographic of clientelle, this is willfull misrepresention; and yet Cafe de Paris are happily taking money from the 'undesirable' people they're trying to ignore.

    How can you justify the difference in treatment when both groups paid to enter?

    Do you understand the links between class and race which apply to this specific scenario?

    Do you understand that biased representations this place choose to project fall into a long line of racist discourse?

    No, nobody said anything overtly racist, that's too easy to identify. So whilst you didn't make your racism obvious and neither did Cafe de Paris, I must inform you that racism now takes place in subtle forms such as ridicule and derission, in addition to the desperate need some people, like yourself, who have to have a 'knowable Other' that they can feel superior against; all of which you ascribe to so well!

    You do realise you comment effectively says 'shut up, stop complaining' right? It says 'Your experience doesn't count' it says 'its okay for them to take your money and treat you less favourably than others on grounds of race' it also says, you'll get the same treatment as desirable people when getting a picture from a MACHINE in Boots, but not from people in a nice/aspirational club'. Then again you're right, at least the machine doesn't discriminate!

    Your comment belittling this review demonstrates your insensitivity, ignorance and that your onotological and epistemelogical assumptions about the opinions of already marginalised group do not count and more importantly that you do not understand the complexities of racism that you partake in.

    Why did you even feel the need to comment besides the need to attempt to belittle someone else to make yourself feel better.
    I have a little more... I'm trying to send it.
    Before commenting, go learn about ethnic priviledge, the prism of whiteness, go read some bell hooks or Cornel West, or even some Les Back...


    Lots of love,

    The End.

    Cognizant (BSc. Hons, MSc., Doctoral Candidate)'


    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of a time in high school when my very best friend was black and I would sit with her during lunch at (what people called) "the black kids' table" or "the city kids' table" and I was literally the only white person. Of course, I never thought about it, 'cause they were my friends, but one day a teacher came up to me after lunch and said "Ya know you were sitting at the city kids' table, right?" (with an emphasis on the word city - she might as well have just said black) and I was completely dumbfounded. Like, really? You're entitled to say that crap? I'll never forget it.

    But anyway, it's great that you sent the emails, even if he didn't respond, because hopefully others will in the future as well and something will be done. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, now see all this experience and your experience shows is how little progress people in this world have made, whilst we have made some,there is still a long way to go. I can't believe your teacher had the audacity to say that to you. I know exactly what you mean, of course you knew your friends were black, but it wasn't and shouldn't be a relevant factor. After all it the person in the skin that counts, or should count the appearance of the skin they're in itself. Absolutely horrendous. I, when growing up never had blinkers on when it came to who it is I could make friends with, it was who I connected with I became friends with and so have a beautiful array of people that I can call friends now.

      Thank you, I felt like I had to say something because, I think it's disgusting how these ideologies still exist. So I made a fuss, and have posted the email in a few places hoping it would give encouragement to others to do the same, cause it truly isn't acceptable.

      I appreciated you taking the time to read, comment and share your own experience. :)

      Delete